SCHEDULE OF ASSIGNMENTS
The instructor reserves the right to modify this schedule to enhance learning for students. Any modifications will not substantially change the intent or objectives of this course.
Day 1: Review Syllabus and Practical Exam. This will take at the most 30 minutes. We will not meet again until the day of the cooking practical.
Day 2: (8 Weeks Later) on April 27th. Practical Skills Demonstration: 3 Hours
- Important: You may serve/present your soup and knife cuts at anytime.
- Your delivery window for your Chicken Entrees and Fresh Pasta will open 2 hours and 45 minutes after your start time. You will then have 15 minutes to deliver your Chicken and Fresh Pasta. This means you CANNOT serve you entrees before your delivery window opens.
- There will be a 1 point deduction for every minute past your delivery window.
1. On a ½-sheet pan, present the following knife skills: (20 minutes)
- 1/2 Onion, Julienne (Lyonnaise-style)
- 1/2 Onion, small dice
- 1 Large Carrot or Potato, Julienne
- 1 Large Carrot or Potato, Macédoine
2. Fabricate 1 whole chicken into: (20 minutes)
- 2 Drumsticks
- 2 Thighs
- 2 Wings
- 2 Airline Chicken Breast, first joint of the wing is attached. It is clean. Skin is on the breast. Cartilage and rib bones are removed.
3. Make 2 bowls of Chicken Noodle Soup using the carcass, wings, thighs and drums. You may serve your soup at any time.
- Tip: Cut your chicken down so that it will fit in the stock pot appropriately. Use only enough water to barely cover your chicken (about 2 quarts), and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, then make your soup. Don’t forget to season.
4. Make 1 serving of Fresh Pasta (e.g, fettuccine, linguini, pappardelle, tagliatelle). Cook and season using only salt, pepper, butter and fresh Parmesan cheese. Serve within scheduled delivery window (at the same time as your chicken dish).
Make sure to practice making fresh pasta at home. Here is an excellent link on Fresh Pasta.
5. Prepare TWO identical dishes using your Airline Chicken Breasts. Cook, Plate and Season according to industry standards. (Don’t deliver before your window opens).
Cook chicken breasts using a Dry Heat cooking method and serve with your choice of sauce, starch and vegetable.
Serve with your choice of starch: (Examples)
• Polenta/Grits (Cornmeal)
• Rice Pilaf
• Whole Grains
• Root Vegetables
NOTE: You CANNOT use fresh pasta as your choice of starch.
Serve with your choice of vegetable(s): (Examples)
• Haricot Verts
• Brussels Sprouts