Part I: Safety, Sanitation and Knife Skills, con’t.
- Kitchen/Station Set-Up
- Mise en Place
- Knife Skills
- Each group of 4 students prepares a “Simmering Station” by assembling all the ingredients including prepared ingredients, cookware, tools and service ware at each cooking station. Then…
- Each group of 4 students demonstrates “Blanching and Shocking” and prepares
- Blanched and shocked Broccoli
- Blanched and shocked Asparagus
- Blanched and shocked Brussels Sprout
- Then, re-therm the broccoli and asparagus in some chicken stock, butter and garlic (don’t forget salt and pepper) and serve on a disposable plate.
- Also, sear the cut ends of the Brussels sprouts in butter and oil (don’t forget to use salt and pepper) and serve on a disposable plate.
1. Each student prepares:
2. Each group of 4 students prepares:
- 1 Recipe Basic Rice Pilaf using the following aromatics:
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms.
- 1 Recipe (4X) Basic Risotto using the following:
- Mushrooms, sauteed
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- Dried mushroom powder
- Parmesan Cheese
1. Each group take 1 1/2 cups of risotto and cool down on a sheet tray. Once cooled, add some ingredients and use the standard breading procedure to make Arancini and pan fry. Be creative with your flavors.
- “Ch. 24 Cooking Grains and Legumes.” The Professional Chef. 9th ed.
- Rinsing Rice and Cooking Whole Grains
- Day 4 PowerPoint
You don't have permission to access this content